Monday, April 6, 2015

Reflection Upon "Those Winter Sundays" by Robert Hayden

When reading Those Winter Sundays by Robert Hayden I understood I was about someone looking back at their childhood for of wistful regret that they did not appreciate what their hard working father had done for them. On the second time reading the poem nothing had change in interpreting the poem other than noticing the syntax of the four sentences and shifts from remembering from the present and the story being told in the past.

As I answered the questions this time around again identifying the tone of the poem was the easiest and I am beginning to question why poems are easier in identifying tone, in opposition to full length stories. Again reexamining the title was hard as at first I couldn't see anything different from the first time around; however, I finally saw an example of syntax by arranging words to create juxtaposition between 'Winter' and 'Sundays' to symbolize the juxtaposition of the speaker's cold attitude towards their father in the past and the father's warm affections.

No comments:

Post a Comment